Hospital sees increase in children ingesting poison - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

Hospital sees increase in children ingesting poisoning

Hospital sees increase in children ingesting poison

Posted: Updated:

We all have potentially dangerous chemicals in our homes, and if they are not stored properly, they can be harmful to children.

Things like gasoline, windshield wiper fluid, and paint thinner are stored in garages where curious children can get their hands on them, and often ingest them.

Arkansas Children's Hospital has seen a rise recently in this type of injury to children. According to the hospital, those injuries are more of a problem this time of year.

"We really consider the time between Memorial Day and Labor Day as the 100 deadliest days for children," said trauma center nurse, Donna Parnell-Beasley. "They're out of school, they're out of day care, they have the opportunity to do some traveling, and we just see a real rise in the number of kids who are injured or harmed by ingestion just by exposures that they normally wouldn't."

Parnell-Beasley also said one reason for the increase in those injuries this time of year, is that children are visiting grandparents or other relatives who do not usually have children in their homes, and are not in the habit of keeping toxins out of the reach of children.

Another issue is that the labels on some products are enticing to children.

"So kids may look at something like Pine-Sol. It looks like apple juice, so they may tend to, if they can get the lid off, take a big swig of it and cause some harm to them."

To get help quickly if your child ingests a chemical, be sure to have the the poison control number where it is easily accessible. That number is 1-800-222-1222.