Arrest warrants issued for Hot Springs attorney and brother in 2 - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

Arrest warrants issued for Hot Springs attorney and brother in 2012 shooting death

Posted: Updated:

HOT SPRINGS (KATV) - Arrest warrants have been issued in a two-year old murder case.  Saline County was appointed special prosecutor in the case, and they now believe they have enough evidence to charge former Hot Springs attorney Andrea Davis and her brother Matthew Davis with manslaughter in the shooting death of Maxwell Anderson.

"My family has gone to hell and back throughout those two years," said Tara Lukach, Anderson's sister.

Lukach said it's the beginning of closure for the family knowing the two people of interest all along are finally being charged.  She said she's disappointed that the charges the two face are only manslaughter.

"It's a little disheartening to see manslaughter rather than murder 1 or even murder 2," said Lukach in a phone interview.  "However we realize that the prosecution only has what they have to work with in order to file the charges."

The arrest affidavit recounts the day Anderson was killed.  On February 29, 2012, Garland County Sheriff's deputies responded to the home of Andrea Davis in reference to a shooting.  Upon arrival officers discovered the body of Anderson face down in a pool of blood in Davis' driveway, the apparent victim of a single gunshot wound to the chest.

When interviewed by police on the day of the shooting, both Andrea Davis and Matthew Davis recounted a story of giving Anderson, "$1,200 in advance to purchase and install security cameras at Matt's residence."  Apparently Anderson never returned with the equipment and a back and forth argument ensued via cell phone conversation and text message.

The story Andrea Davis continued to tell was that she instructed Anderson to come to her house.  She confronted him when he arrived and allegedly got into a verbal altercation which she said turned violent when Anderson allegedly, "picked up a golf club that was in the room and struck her three or four times on the inside of her left arm."  Matt supposedly told Andi to go outside and she heard a gunshot from inside the home.  She said that Matt had said, "Maxx just came at him."

When sheriff's deputies interviewed Matt, he also had a similar story but many of the details differed from the account Andi had given them. 

The autopsy conducted on Anderson's body showed he died of that single gunshot wound to the chest at close range, but there were two abrasions on Anderson's left cheek.  The two abrasions showed blood trails leading downward toward the pavement – both of which "were not explained by Andi or Matt and would appear to indicate other signs of trouble," according the affidavit.

"He wasn't mauled by a dog, it was not accidental," said Lukach.  "They weren't cleaning guns, or out target shooting – you know it was definitely not an accident."

The affidavit continues to say, "Based on text messages between Andi and Maxx, retrieved from their cell phones during forensic examinations, investigators believe Maxx's death was the result of a drug transaction gone bad."

One of the texts from Davis to Anderson, mentioned in the affidavit, read, "Can you do that deal we talked about regarding the 1200 turkey.  What he do if we got two ounces of gravy? 2400? Or deal? Jew em down.  We wanna talk to u bout some s***."

Investigators believe that $1,200 for security cameras was actually for methamphetamine.  "Turkey" is drug slang for meth and "gravy" is drug slang for heroin or to inject a drug, according to the affidavit.

That's why Andrea Davis is also charged with a felony use of a communication device. 

Both Davis siblings are not in police custody yet.  A source tells KATV that Matt Davis currently lives in California, but both Matt and Andi do plan to turn themselves in on Thursday at the Garland County Sheriff's Office.