AR Guardsman suspended in wake of disgraceful casket photo - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

AR National Guardsman suspended in wake of disgraceful casket photo

Posted: Updated:

NORTH LITTLE ROCK (Press Release) The Arkansas National Guard has confirmed that one of the soldiers in a photograph posted on a social media site by a Wisconsin National Guardsman is a member of the Arkansas Army National Guard.

KATV Feb. 19: National Guard photo taken in Arkansas causing controversy

The photograph was taken at the National Guard Bureau's Professional Education Center earlier this month.

"As members of the military community we take this matter very seriously," said Maj. Matt Snead, state public affairs officer for the Arkansas National Guard, "the soldier has been suspended from military funeral honors duty and an investigation is underway."

The fourteen soldiers came from various states to attend military funeral honors training at the Professional Education Center, a national training center located at Camp Robinson.  The Professional Education Center falls under the umbrella of the Army National Guard, a branch of the National Guard Bureau, located in Arlington, Virginia.  The Army National Guard is conducting a separate investigation.  

Due to the ongoing investigation and concern for the safety of the Arkansas soldier, the Arkansas National Guard is withholding his identity.

Maj. Gen. William D. Wofford, the adjutant general for Arkansas, issued the following statement:  

"I echo the sentiment of my fellow Adjutants General with soldiers involved, and the Chief of the National Guard Bureau, when I say this photograph is deplorable.  I am a veteran, my father was a veteran and this is personally offensive to me.  To all Arkansans, veterans, military members and especially our families who have lost loved ones, I extend a heartfelt apology for the pain caused by the participation of the soldier under my command in this disgraceful photograph.  I have directed an investigation into his involvement and we will take actions to ensure this never happens again."

NORTH LITTLE ROCK (Press Release) The Arkansas National Guard has confirmed that one of the soldiers in a photograph posted on a social media site by a Wisconsin National Guardsman is a member of the Arkansas Army National Guard.

The photograph was taken at the National Guard Bureau's Professional Education Center earlier this month.

"As members of the military community we take this matter very seriously," said Maj. Matt Snead, state public affairs officer for the Arkansas National Guard, "the soldier has been suspended from military funeral honors duty and an investigation is underway."

The fourteen soldiers came from various states to attend military funeral honors training at the Professional Education Center, a national training center located at Camp Robinson.  The Professional Education Center falls under the umbrella of the Army National Guard, a branch of the National Guard Bureau, located in Arlington, Virginia.  The Army National Guard is conducting a separate investigation.  

Due to the ongoing investigation and concern for the safety of the Arkansas soldier, the Arkansas National Guard is withholding his identity.

Maj. Gen. William D. Wofford, the adjutant general for Arkansas, issued the following statement:  

"I echo the sentiment of my fellow Adjutants General with soldiers involved, and the Chief of the National Guard Bureau, when I say this photograph is deplorable.  I am a veteran, my father was a veteran and this is personally offensive to me.  To all Arkansans, veterans, military members and especially our families who have lost loved ones, I extend a heartfelt apology for the pain caused by the participation of the soldier under my command in this disgraceful photograph.  I have directed an investigation into his involvement and we will take actions to ensure this never happens again."

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 3 Killed In Central Arkansas Car Crash

    3 Killed In Central Arkansas Car Crash

    Monday, July 28 2014 4:40 AM EDT2014-07-28 08:40:58 GMT
    COTTON PLANT, Ark. (AP) - Arkansas State Police say three men have died in a single-vehicle crash.Jonesboro television station KAIT reports (http://bit.ly/1zkMwzC ) the crash happened early Sunday morning on State Highway 38 west of Cotton Plant.Police say the vehicle went off the road and struck a concrete culvert. The vehicle was launched into the air and hit an electric pole.The driver and the passengers were pronounced dead at the scene.More >>
    COTTON PLANT, Ark. (AP) - Arkansas State Police say three men have died in a single-vehicle crash.Jonesboro television station KAIT reports (http://bit.ly/1zkMwzC ) the crash happened early Sunday morning on State Highway 38 west of Cotton Plant.Police say the vehicle went off the road and struck a concrete culvert. The vehicle was launched into the air and hit an electric pole.The driver and the passengers were pronounced dead at the scene.More >>
  • Police still searching for missing father and 10-month-old son

    Police still searching for missing father and 10-month-old son

    Sunday, July 27 2014 9:08 PM EDT2014-07-28 01:08:10 GMT
    A prayer vigil was held Sunday for the missing Greenwood father and son. 33-year-old Brian Floyd and 10-month-old have been missing since Friday, July 25. Police are still looking for Floyd's dark green 1997 GMC pick up truck which they believe was last seen in the Ouacita mountains area south of Blue mountain.More >>
    A prayer vigil was held Sunday for the missing Greenwood father and son. 33-year-old Brian Floyd and 10-month-old have been missing since Friday, July 25. Police are still looking for Floyd's dark green 1997 GMC pick up truck which they believe was last seen in the Ouacita mountains area south of Blue mountain.More >>
  • Metro Radar

    Metro Radar