One building destroyed, another badly burned in WLR apartment fi - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

One building destroyed, another badly burned in WLR apartment fire

Posted: Updated:

LITTLE ROCK (KATV) – Little Rock fire officials were called to Out In the Woods Apartments located at 9201 Kanis Road after reports of a blaze.

Around 10 a.m. officials arrived at the complex behind Baptist Hospital, and a second alarm was sounded as crews attempted to put the fire out. One building was destroyed while a second was partially destroyed.

About 30 residents were displaced along with loose pets at the scene. People were kept warm in ambulances until the Red Cross arrived.

No injuries were reported.

Stay with Channel Seven for more details at 5 & 6.

 

Red Cross Press Release:

Disaster Responders with the American Red Cross in Arkansas provided care for the second time within a year for residents at Out In The Wood Apartments, 9201 Kanis Road, Little Rock after a fast moving blaze destroyed Building B, leaving at least 30 residents without a home.

"Our last response to Out In The Woods Apartments this past June, when 25 residents were displaced," stated Communications Information Officer, Brigette Williams.

Red Cross is providing support for food and clothing for most of those displaced, with the addition of emergency stay in hotels for 7 families. Mental health support was provided by Red Cross for those needing emotional support after the morning fire.

With extremely low temperatures forecast for tonight and next week, Arkansans are encouraged to take seriously the following tips to reduce fire risk at homes and apartments, which tend to increase as temperatures drop:

Have a working smoke alarm. Never disconnect it. Make sure the batteries work.

  • Do not use fireplaces and heating units that have not been professionally checked.
  • All heaters need space! Keep things that can burn, such as paper, bedding or furniture as well as pets and people, at least 3 feet away from fireplaces, stoves and space heaters.
  • Place portable space heaters on a hard, level, nonflammable surface.  Do not put space heaters on rugs or carpets, near bedding or drapes, and keep children and pets away.  Look for a model that shuts off automatically if the space heater tips over.
  • Do not use heating equipment to dry wet clothing.
  • Never use the stove or oven to heat your home.
  • Never leave portable heaters, wood burning stoves or fireplaces unattended.  Turn them off before leaving or going to bed.
  • Keep the fire in the fireplace by using a glass or metal screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.

For more safety tips, visit redcross.org/arkansas; like us on Facebook/AmericanRedCrossArkansas and follow us on Twitter@RedCrossArkansas

 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Police warn parents about criminal consequences of kids "sexting"

    Police warn parents about criminal consequences of kids "sexting"

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 11:09 PM EDT2014-04-23 03:09:53 GMT
    JACKSONVILLE (KATV) - Hormones run rampant in teens – it’s why the concept of sending lewd photos to one another seems so natural to them. But do they know that doing that can land them in some hot water?  More >>
    JACKSONVILLE (KATV) - Hormones run rampant in teens – it’s why the concept of sending lewd photos to one another seems so natural to them. But do they know that doing that can land them in some hot water?  More >>
  • Stolen Home

    Stolen Home

    Stolen Home

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 8:14 PM EDT2014-04-23 00:14:57 GMT

    One Lonoke County woman's dream of home ownership didn't last long.  She is facing eviction amidst allegations that her home is stolen.

    More >>

    One Lonoke County woman's dream of home ownership didn't last long.  She is facing eviction amidst allegations that her home is stolen.

    More >>
  • DHS revokes Bryant daycare license after 8-month old infant dragged across carpet

    DHS revokes Bryant daycare license after 8-month old infant dragged across carpet

    DHS revokes Bryant daycare license after 8-month old infant dragged across carpet

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 6:43 PM EDT2014-04-22 22:43:59 GMT
    BRYANT (KATV)--A Bryant daycare owner has her license revoked after one of her employees allegedly dragged an 8-month old infant across the carpet. We first reported this story back in February when surveillance video showed the employee dragging the infant by the leg. Shortly after this incident, the Department of Human Services investigated further and revoked the owner's license closing the Wisdom Tree Learning Academy's doors for good. Coats is facing one count of endangering the welfare ...More >>
    BRYANT (KATV)--A Bryant daycare owner has her license revoked after one of her employees allegedly dragged an 8-month old infant across the carpet. We first reported this story back in February when surveillance video showed the employee dragging the infant by the leg. Shortly after this incident, the Department of Human Services investigated further and revoked the owner's license closing the Wisdom Tree Learning Academy's doors for good. Coats is facing one count of endangering the welfare ...More >>