Family speaks out after Christmas Eve murder - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

Family speaks out after Christmas Eve murder

Posted: Updated:

LITTLE ROCK (KATV)--A murder suspect turned himself in today for the shooting of 23-year-old Austin Burks.

Jamar Jordan, 20, is in custody after the Christmas Eve killing.

Tonight Burks' wake was held and his aunt, Erica Jefferson, spoke with Channel 7.

A tough day for Burks' family and friends as they gathered to say their last goodbyes to a son, father, brother, uncle and friend.

But it wasn't until the middle of the wake, when Burks' family found out that the murder suspect had turned himself in.

Shortly before Burks' wake was to commence, Jefferson was outside the Premier Funeral Home pleading for the suspect, Jordan, to turn himself in.

"Best thing for him to do is turn himself in and give us some closure so that we can go on with our life," said Jefferson.

Just minutes after this interview, Channel 7 broke the news to Jefferson that Jordan had turned himself in. Respectfully, no cameras were rolling at the time, but shock took over Jefferson as she proceeded to tell the rest of the family.

It was during the day on Christmas Eve when according to investigators, Burks was lying in the 1500 hundred block of Adams Street shot.

"I stopped at my mom's house and me and my sister had just sat down, we were talking and then I heard pow pow, I'm like what was that... I jumped up and looked and said they just shot somebody, I looked down and said that's my nephew Justin that's who I thought it was at first so I just ran out the door and it was Austin," said Jefferson.

According to the police report, Jefferson saw a burgundy Nissan Maxima drive south bound and open fire on Burks.

"He was getting his babies out the car at the time they killed him," added Jefferson.

While memories of Burks will live on for his family, the moment Jefferson found her nephew shot will be one memory hard to forget.

"Just gone, laying there with a single gunshot wound to the head and I was devastated," said Jefferson.

No additional arrests have been made in this homicide, of course we'll continue to follow this story and bring you the latest.