Little Rock Fire Department shares fire safety message - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

Little Rock Fire Department shares fire safety message

Posted: Updated:

(LITTLE ROCK) - Firefighters from the Little Rock Fire Department will be sharing life-saving information with community members on Saturday, November 2 by canvassing a local neighborhood to distribute free smoke alarms and batteries, provided by Energizer, and to remind residents to adopt the life-saving habit of the Change Your Clock Change Your Battery® program.

The International Association of Fire Chiefs and Energizer began the Change Your Clock Change Your Battery® program 26 years ago to help save lives by reminding families to replace the batteries in their home's smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when they change their clocks for daylight saving time. Today, more than 6,400 fire departments across the country participate in this campaign. The Change Your Clock Change Your Battery program is just one of the ways Energizer brings to life the company's commitment to making a positive impact in communities across the world.

Firefighters say, "Thirty-eight percent of fatal fire injuries occur in homes without working smoke alarms and 24 percent occur in homes in which at least one smoke alarm is present but fails to operate, frequently due to dead or missing batteries."  Energizer will be working with Little Rock Fire Department and volunteers from Hall High School who will be going door to door to ensure that Little Rock residents have working smoke detectors. A working smoke alarm helps ensure a family has the critical extra moments to safely escape a home fire.  

They provide these simply home fire safety tips:

    • A simple reminder from the International Association of Fire Chiefs and Energizer: When you change your clocks, change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. This can help save lives.
    • Test your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors monthly to make sure they are working.
    • Have at least one working smoke alarm on each level of your home.   
    • Plan, discuss and practice an escape route with your family for dangerous situations such as home fires, carbon monoxide leaks and natural disasters.
    • Do not rely on your sense of smell to alert you that you and/or your family are in danger of being trapped during a fire or from a carbon monoxide leak.
    • Be sure not to ignore the chirping sound your smoke alarm makes when maintenance is required. 
    • Use flashlights or flameless candles rather than candles to light your home during power outages.
    • Carbon monoxide detectors are NOT substitutes for smoke alarms.

For more information, check out www.energizer.com/change and www.facebook.com/energizerbunny.