School choice appeals denied by State Board of Education - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

School choice appeals denied by State Board of Education

Posted: Updated:
LITTLE ROCK (KATV) -

A dozen school choice appeals were submitted at Monday's State Board of Education meeting. All 12 were denied.

Board chairman Brenda Gullett called the flood of appeals frustrating.

The school choice law allows students to transfer from one district to another, but it also allows school districts to declare themselves exempt if they are under a desegregation order.

This is the first year for the new school choice law, after the previous 1989 law was struck down last year with a judge saying it was unconstitutional to use race as the only factor in determining whether students are allowed to transfer.

Under the stipulations of this new law, the board says they have been slammed with appeals from families whose students were denied to move to a different school by the district.

Gullet said the board does not have the power to make a judicial decision.

"Once they apply to their district and they're denied, then that's their legal due process to come before us," Gullett explained. "Should they take it onto a court of law, it would have been a necessary step that they came to the state board first."

Gullett said the next step for these families will be to take the appeals to court.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 20-year-old Stuttgart shooting victim dies

    20-year-old Stuttgart shooting victim dies

    Thursday, July 24 2014 12:17 PM EDT2014-07-24 16:17:09 GMT
    Community members held a prayer vigil for Daniel Ruffin after he was shot in the chest while walking his dog on Tuesday night. Ruffin died Wednesday night after succumbing to his injuries. More >>
    Community members held a prayer vigil for Daniel Ruffin after he was shot in the chest while walking his dog on Tuesday night. Ruffin died Wednesday night after succumbing to his injuries.
    More >>
  • Lockdown lifted at Little Rock Air Force Base

    Lockdown lifted at Little Rock Air Force Base

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-07-23 21:48:11 GMT
    The lockdown at Little Rock Air Force Base has been lifted.More >>
    The lockdown at Little Rock Air Force Base has been lifted.More >>
  • FOLLOW-UP: Coroner says "pure speculation" if son would have been saved

    FOLLOW-UP: Coroner says "pure speculation" if son would have been saved

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 6:51 PM EDT2014-07-23 22:51:41 GMT
    CONWAY (KATV) – The Faulkner County Coroner said it was a lethal combination of a multitude of drugs that ultimately killed 20 year-old Joshua Ashley-Pauley – the son of the man holding a sign public shaming his son’s friends who he believes did nothing to help save his son. More >>
    CONWAY (KATV) – The Faulkner County Coroner said it was a lethal combination of a multitude of drugs that ultimately killed 20 year-old Joshua Ashley-Pauley – the son of the man holding a sign public shaming his son’s friends who he believes did nothing to help save his son. More >>