Notes and observations from Day 4 of Vikings training camp
• Coach Leslie Frazier set no timeline and said "it's hard to say" if receiver Greg Childs (PUP), who is rehabbing two torn tendons in both knees, will make it onto a Mankato practice field before training camp ends on August 14. Frazier said linebacker Nate Williams (ankle), also on the PUP, should return soon.
• Fullback Jerome Felton missed his second consecutive day of practice, but Frazier said he should return from a personal matter on Wednesday.
• First-round pick and cornerback Xavier Rhodes is known for his physical play, but needs to adapt to the NFL's stingy no-contact after five yards rule. Rhodes was called for pass interference on receiver Stephen Burton after he jammed him at the line and didn't let go of Burton's jersey as they were seven to 10 yards downfield.
• Linebacker Desmond Bishop, working with the second-team defense, deflected a pass from quarterback Matt Cassel to tight end/fullback Rhett Ellison in team drills. Defensive Coordinator Alan Williams on Bishop: "I thought he was going to be rusty getting back into it, but he's really not."
• Williams said he doesn't envision a scenario where he plays both rookie defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd and veteran Kevin Williams on the line at the same time, but said "I'm not going to rule anything out."
• Reserve cornerback A.J. Jefferson leapt to deflect a Matt Cassel pass in 7 on 7 passing drills to receiver Jarius Wright and safety Robert Blanton scooped up the interception.
• Receiver LaMark Brown beat out reserve cornerback Greg McCoy and caught a 40-yard touchdown catch off of a McLeod Bethel-Thompson pass in one-on-one drills.
• Linebacker Tyrone McKenzie rocked tight end Chase Ford in the back as he leapt to catch a pass. Ford was on the ground for a moment, but Frazier said he just got the wind knocked out of him and should be fine.
• On a day where the defense set the tone, Vikings running back Adrian Peterson said it was noticeable.
"They probably had some built up frustration yesterday, because we handed it to them," Peterson said. "Once we got into the full contact, those guys picked it up a little bit more than us."
• Starting quarterback Christian Ponder, who will speak to media on Wednesday, ended Tuesday's practice with a redzone touchdown pass to tight end John Carlson at the back corner of the endzone.
Home News Weather Sports Video About Us Newslinks Community Follow Us Fun and Games Blogs KATV/FCC Public File
Employment Contact KATV Credit Application and Advertising Terms and Conditions KATV Programming EEO Report