Ark. agency reviews plan for closed Whirlpool site - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

Ark. agency reviews plan for closed Whirlpool site

Posted:

FORT SMITH (AP) - The Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality is reviewing a plan to deal with a degreasing solvent that was detected in groundwater at a recently shuttered Whirlpool plant in Fort Smith.

A company called ENVIRON submitted a final remedy work plan to the state environmental agency this week on behalf of Benton Harbor, Mich.-based Whirlpool Corp.

The plan comes decades after Whirlpool ceased using trichloroethylene at the Fort Smith site.

The Environmental Protection Agency says inhalation exposure to trichloroethylene can affect the human central nervous system.

However, Whirlpool says no one is drinking or touching the contaminated groundwater or breathing its vapors.

Whirlpool manufactured refrigerators and trash compactors at the site until last year.

The latest plan for dealing with trichloroethylene contamination calls for chemical oxidant injections and continued monitoring.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 20-year-old Stuttgart shooting victim dies

    20-year-old Stuttgart shooting victim dies

    Thursday, July 24 2014 12:17 PM EDT2014-07-24 16:17:09 GMT
    Community members held a prayer vigil for Daniel Ruffin after he was shot in the chest while walking his dog on Tuesday night. Ruffin died Wednesday night after succumbing to his injuries. More >>
    Community members held a prayer vigil for Daniel Ruffin after he was shot in the chest while walking his dog on Tuesday night. Ruffin died Wednesday night after succumbing to his injuries.
    More >>
  • Lockdown lifted at Little Rock Air Force Base

    Lockdown lifted at Little Rock Air Force Base

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-07-23 21:48:11 GMT
    The lockdown at Little Rock Air Force Base has been lifted.More >>
    The lockdown at Little Rock Air Force Base has been lifted.More >>
  • FOLLOW-UP: Coroner says "pure speculation" if son would have been saved

    FOLLOW-UP: Coroner says "pure speculation" if son would have been saved

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 6:51 PM EDT2014-07-23 22:51:41 GMT
    CONWAY (KATV) – The Faulkner County Coroner said it was a lethal combination of a multitude of drugs that ultimately killed 20 year-old Joshua Ashley-Pauley – the son of the man holding a sign public shaming his son’s friends who he believes did nothing to help save his son. More >>
    CONWAY (KATV) – The Faulkner County Coroner said it was a lethal combination of a multitude of drugs that ultimately killed 20 year-old Joshua Ashley-Pauley – the son of the man holding a sign public shaming his son’s friends who he believes did nothing to help save his son. More >>