Sebastian County voters to consider tax extension - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

Sebastian County voters to consider tax extension

Posted: Updated:

FORT SMITH, Ark. (AP) - Voters in Sebastian County will go to the polls Tuesday to decide whether to continue a 1-cent sales tax that's been in place for 20 years.

Last year, the tax brought in nearly $22 million. The Southwest Times Record reports (http://bit.ly/YECMzA ) that the tax is allocated to the county and its 11 cities based on population. Fort Smith received the largest share last year at about $15 million.

Voters first adopted the 1-cent tax in June 1994. It was again renewed in 2004, and Tuesday's vote would extend the tax for another 10 years.

The tax primarily pays for public safety but also goes toward parks, libraries and other programs.

Polls are open from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday for the special election.

 

Information from: Southwest Times Record, http://www.swtimes.com/

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Conway father hopes "public shaming" helps educate youth on drugs

    Conway father hopes "public shaming" helps educate youth on drugs

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:46 PM EDT2014-07-22 22:46:16 GMT
    CONWAY (KATV) – It’s an in-your-face sign that’s turning heads near the University of Central Arkansas campus. The sign is being held by a father in mourning, calling out kids who he said could have saved his son from overdosing on prescription drugs. More >>
    CONWAY (KATV) – It’s an in-your-face sign that’s turning heads near the University of Central Arkansas campus. The sign is being held by a father in mourning, calling out kids who he said could have saved his son from overdosing on prescription drugs. More >>
  • Man released from prison after more than 11 years, sues state over conviction

    Man released from prison after more than 11 years, sues state over conviction

    Man released from prison after more than 11 years, sues state over conviction

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:00 PM EDT2014-07-23 02:00:24 GMT
    LITTLE ROCK (KATV)--A man spent 11 ½ years in prison, but was released after Special Prosecutor, Larry Jegley, dropped the charges against him in 2010.More >>
    LITTLE ROCK (KATV)--A man spent 11 ½ years in prison, but was released after Special Prosecutor, Larry Jegley, dropped the charges against him in 2010.More >>
  • Authorities say grandfather/grandson argument ends in shooting in Garland County

    Authorities say grandfather/grandson argument ends in shooting in Garland County

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 12:17 AM EDT2014-07-23 04:17:50 GMT
    One person has been injured in a shooting in Hot Springs Village.More >>
    One person has been injured in a shooting in Hot Springs Village.More >>