Lottery scholarships facing recommended cuts - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

Lottery scholarships facing recommended cuts

Posted: Updated:

LITTLE ROCK (KATV) - Arkansas lottery scholarships are facing big cuts next year.

A legislative panel recommended 4-year students should receive more than a thousand dollars less in 2013.

The Arkansas Lottery Commission Legislative Oversight Committee is recommending big cuts for scholarship students because there are more students and less money to go around.

"The program is still very viable and I think that's the action that the general assembly took today making sure it maintains that viability," said Shane Broadway, director of the Arkansas Department of Higher Education.

Speaking before the committee Tuesday morning, Broadway said the extra 1,200 students who accepted scholarships this year were more than expected.

"What we don't know is how many of those students are going to apply and accept the award every year," he said.

The committee recommends new 4-year university students start getting $3,300 next year, down from $4,500 hundred annually this year. Community college students would receive $1,650 compared to the $2,250 in 2012. That's because the lottery scholarship is working with less money, an estimated $5 million less than last year.

"When you're relying on your revenue coming from the sale of lottery tickets," Broadway said, "those things tend to go up and down."

The fluctuating numbers are why Broadway says the cuts were expected to make sure scholarships keep up with demand.

"Don't necessarily count on this being a certain amount," said Broadway. "It will be there, what dollar amount it will be five years from now, I think no one can project."

The legislature is expected to discuss cuts to lottery scholarships when the session meets again in January. 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 3 Killed In Central Arkansas Car Crash

    3 Killed In Central Arkansas Car Crash

    Monday, July 28 2014 4:40 AM EDT2014-07-28 08:40:58 GMT
    COTTON PLANT, Ark. (AP) - Arkansas State Police say three men have died in a single-vehicle crash.Jonesboro television station KAIT reports (http://bit.ly/1zkMwzC ) the crash happened early Sunday morning on State Highway 38 west of Cotton Plant.Police say the vehicle went off the road and struck a concrete culvert. The vehicle was launched into the air and hit an electric pole.The driver and the passengers were pronounced dead at the scene.More >>
    COTTON PLANT, Ark. (AP) - Arkansas State Police say three men have died in a single-vehicle crash.Jonesboro television station KAIT reports (http://bit.ly/1zkMwzC ) the crash happened early Sunday morning on State Highway 38 west of Cotton Plant.Police say the vehicle went off the road and struck a concrete culvert. The vehicle was launched into the air and hit an electric pole.The driver and the passengers were pronounced dead at the scene.More >>
  • Police still searching for missing father and 10-month-old son

    Police still searching for missing father and 10-month-old son

    Sunday, July 27 2014 9:08 PM EDT2014-07-28 01:08:10 GMT
    A prayer vigil was held Sunday for the missing Greenwood father and son. 33-year-old Brian Floyd and 10-month-old have been missing since Friday, July 25. Police are still looking for Floyd's dark green 1997 GMC pick up truck which they believe was last seen in the Ouacita mountains area south of Blue mountain.More >>
    A prayer vigil was held Sunday for the missing Greenwood father and son. 33-year-old Brian Floyd and 10-month-old have been missing since Friday, July 25. Police are still looking for Floyd's dark green 1997 GMC pick up truck which they believe was last seen in the Ouacita mountains area south of Blue mountain.More >>
  • Metro Radar

    Metro Radar