Email correspondence with the Dept. of Defense - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

Email correspondence with the Dept. of Defense

Posted: Updated:

-----Original Message-----

From: Lainez, Eileen Ms OSD PA

Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 11:06 AM

To: Christina Munoz

Subject: RE: RESPONSE & REFERRAL: KATV - Little Rock shooting

Hi Christina,

For your first question, you'd need to ask the Army.

Regarding your question on "the number of terrorist attacks on U.S. soil" I've cc'd my colleagues with Homeland Defense.  Don't know if they may recommend you contact DHS or another agency.

For your question on "the number of PHs awarded by the Service as a result of the international terrorist attacks on 9-11-2001" you would need to ask the military services (they approve and award the Purple Heart).

Best,

Eileen

-----Original Message-----

From: Christina Munoz [mailto:cmunoz@KATV.com]

Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 10:33 AM

To: Lainez, Eileen Ms OSD PA

Subject: Re: RESPONSE & REFERRAL: KATV - Little Rock shooting

Thank you so much for your response!

As a follow up question...why was the shooting NOT considered and/or recognized as an international terrorist attack?

The killer, Carlos Bledsoe aka Abdulhakim Muhammad, claimed to be a terrorist (trained in Yemen) and shot the men in uniform because of their uniforms and because of his hatred of the US military. Is there a set of guidelines used to determine whether an incident is classified as a terrorist attack? Or is it on a case-by-case basis?

I'm also curious about other terrorist attacks on U-S soil. Can you tell me how many there have been? And how many Purple Hearts were awarded to military members killed on 9-11 (I've been told 54 and 55)?

Okay...that's a lot more than one follow up question. :) I just so appreciate any help you can give us!

Thanks so much!!

Christina Munoz

KATV Channel 7

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 17, 2012, at 8:40 AM, "Lainez, Eileen Ms OSD PA"  wrote:

Hi Christina,

I've provided general DoD policy below; cc'ing the Army for your specific questions.

The Purple Heart is awarded to service members who are killed or wounded, to an extent requiring treatment by a medical officer; in action against an enemy of the United States; as the result of an act of any hostile foreign force; or as the result of an international terrorist attack against the United States, provided the Secretary of the military department concerned recognizes the attack as an international terrorist attack.

(Specific criteria are contained in Executive Order 11016, "Authorizing Award of the Purple Heart"; DoDM 1348.33-V3, Manual of Military Decorations and Awards - Volume 3; and Army Regulation 600-8-22, "Military Awards")

Best,

Eileen

Eileen M. Lainez

DoD Spokeswoman, Defense Press Office

Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs) 1400

Defense Pentagon (2D961) Washington DC 20301-1400

For up-to-date news and information see our Web site: www.defense.gov

Twitter - e_lainez

-----Original Message-----

From: Christina Munoz [mailto:cmunoz@KATV.com]

Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:19 PM

To: Lainez, Eileen Ms OSD PA

Subject: Little Rock shooting

Hey Eileen!

My name is Christina Munoz and I work for KATV Channel 7 News, the ABC affiliate in Little Rock, Arkansas.

I'm hoping you can help me out with a story I'm working on.

The families of the two men that were shot while standing outside a recruiting office in Little Rock in June of 2009 (Private William Long was killed, Private Quinton Ezeagwula was injured) are hoping to get Purple Heart awards for their loved ones.

I'm curious if you can elaborate on a statement that was sent to Congressman Griffin about why the shooting is considered "criminal" instead of an act of terrorism (I've attached the letter.) I know it was prosecuted as a shooting and not terrorism but I was also told that the Army can classify it differently than what it was prosecuted as.

I'd love to talk to you more about it... you can call anytime. Or you can email a statement or any other information that can help us out.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Christina Munoz

Channel 7 News

• Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Authorities await ID on body found in burned car

Wednesday, April 23 2014 1:17 PM EDT2014-04-23 17:17:48 GMT
    Authorities are investigating after a person was found dead inside of a burned car in St. Francis County.More >>

Homeless man arrested in stabbing death of NLR man

Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:01 PM EDT2014-04-23 16:01:39 GMT
    LITTLE ROCK (KATV) – A homeless man was arrested Tuesday night after allegedly stabbing a man to death. Little Rock police officers were called to 1400 North Street, but were flagged down by a white male, Leslie Webb, on La Harpe.More >>

Cold Front To Increase Showers and T-Storms Thursday

Wednesday, April 23 2014 5:50 PM EDT2014-04-23 21:50:29 GMT
    A cold air mass will remain over Arkansas this Christmas holiday. With sunshine on this Christmas Eve we'll see highs only in the upper 30s to mid 40's over the state.More >>
    Warm conditions will dominate the upcoming weekend and beyondMore >>