Child Dies From Rare Bacteria - KATV - Breaking News, Weather and Razorback Sports

Child Dies From Rare Bacteria

Posted: Updated:

A Little Rock boy died Saturday night from an extremely rare form of Meningitis.

7-year-old Davian Briggs was diagnosed with Naegleria after a day of swimming. He was transported to Arkansas Children's Hospital where he remained in critical condition.

According to Dr. Jose Romero, Naegleria is bacteria normally found in warm fresh water and is more prevalent when temperatures are high. It enters through the nose and can cause a rare and severe brain infection. Currently, there is no known cure for those who come in contact with the bacteria.

Romero said, "Most infectious disease specialists will never see one of these in their lifetime and most general practitioners will never see one."

There have reportedly been just over 100 such cases nationwide in the past 50-years.